Thursday, August 28, 2008

Welcome to my 2009 Beekeeping Season Logbook. It may seem early to start, as the bees won't be arriving until next spring, but there's plenty to be done in the meantime.

As of yesterday, I've decided on a place to keep my bees. As I live in an apartment complex, there's nowhere there to keep them. I was hoping to keep them at my aunt's house in the City, but one of her neighbors is weary of it, and also, there's not much to pollinate out there. So, my aunt suggested that I contact her friend, who has a small farm in the suburbs, about 10 minutes from my apartment. I did, and got her overwhelming approval yesterday. I hope to get down there this weekend to have a look at the land, and get a general idea as to where I'll place the hives.

I will be purchasing two hives, and two packages of bees. The sources for both have not been concretely decided yet, but I'm leaning toward Rossman Apiaries for the bees, and possibly the hives too (nice cypress hives, good prices).

I'll decide on the hives within the next week or so, and I hope to place my order before the end of September. I will update as soon as I have seen the land, and decided on my hives. Ta-ta for now!

No comments: